TITLE: Closed Loop Payment Soln for NGO’s
CATEGORY: Social Impact
NAME: Richard | Muriithi
APPLICANT TYPE: Company
Safaricom M-Pesa through the Closed Loop solution for Funds disbursement via Mobile money has partnered with the World Food Program (WFP) and the Kenyan Government in providing technical assistance in the roll out of emergency cash assistance to food insecure households affected by the ongoing drought in the country.
The total funds allocated KSh. 1.2 billion (USD 11.6 million) for drought emergency cash response to 1.3 million beneficiaries (approx. 270,000 Households) in 13 counties across the arid and semi-arid lands of Kenya.
A simple Physical Voucher-based solution that can facilitate quick cash disbursements in an emergency situation.
• WFP needed physical vouchers for the sake of making quick and fast disbursements in an emergency situation and also for branding purposes for the initiative.
• Safaricom implemented a basic voucher management application as per the requirements that does automated M-PESA B2C transactions upon top up.
How it works:
• An end-to-end Web based interface has been availed for the client to manage the voucher lifecycle.
• The client will generate randomized voucher PIN and serial numbers for their Physical vouchers on their own as per the guidance provided and upload onto the voucher system.
• The client shall handle print physical vouchers containing top up pins and shall distribute the vouchers to the beneficiaries in the affected areas as per their Selection Criteria/Process.
• The beneficiary (Voucher Holder) will scratch to reveal the top up PIN and top up the voucher via USSD.
• Once successful, the beneficiary will receive a bulk payment transaction from WFP(the client) to their M-PESA Account instantly.
• The service is only available to M-PESA registered users ONLY.
• A Beneficiary can use any number to redeem, as long as its registered to M-PESA.
• WFP will manage all voucher escalations from the beneficiaries, the scratch cards contain WFP Helpline contact details. No Safaricom details anywhere.
This solution can be replicated across the globe for instances emergency relief is required. By giving out Money, the aid agency do not have to go through the rigorous procurement process of buying items that may not be necessary to the affected victims.
Money will be saved by the aid agencies and the emergency victims will have the ability to prioritize what they need most.
SOLUTION IS LIVE? Yes